CALL FOR SPEAKERS
“How Design Morphs Visual Impairment"
Vienna, 4-5 September 2013
A joint event by the
the Austrian Association in Support of the Blind and Visually Impaired (Hilfsgemeinschaft der Blinden und Sehschwachen Österreichs) and
the Institute for Transport and Logistics Management of the Vienna University of Economics and Business.
The space-x Exchange Forum will investigate how smart design solutions can seduce rather than lecture and lead to an intuitive understanding, acceptance of and support for visual impairment. Not only legal regulations but appealing design solutions for the general public shall make visual impaired people´s environment easier to experience and more joyful.
The 2013 SEDUCE Exchange Forum sets out to discuss and answer for example:
- What makes design for visual impairment irresistible for all
- How to clarify that visual impaired does not mean blind
- How to design for people with limited eyesight
- How to teach and learn to design for visual impairment
- How to address all senses of space experience
- How to initiate and establish platforms for continuing dialogue between all stakeholders
- How to offer variety, pleasure and address local identity still meeting applicable standards
- How to improve the awareness of the social and commercial importance of people with limited vision - a regularly underestimated aspect of design.
TOPICS - KEY WORDS:
Tactile, audio, visual design
Design for all
Static and dynamic information
Blind and/or Visually Impaired People
Education - training
Access to information
Work and disability
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
- Representatives of public service providers and authorities
- Members of interest groups
- Managers of businesses looking for effective, efficient and appealing communications and activities
- Academics and Researches in related fields
- Aileen Thomas, DB (DE)
- Werner Jordan, SBB (CH)
- Mike Wolff, Sign design Society (UK)
- Elmar W Fürst, WU Wien (AT)
- Daniele Marano, Hilfsgemeinschaft (AT)
- Ellen Engel-Kuhn / Rainer Hahn, DB (DE)
We kindly invite submissions for presentations in the context of the conference topics. Proposals should include the following information (please put them in the proposal entry form below):
Synopsis / abstract of content (250-500 words)
Affiliation and previous experiences in the field (up to 200 words)
Contact information (name, phone number, E-mail, and postal address)
Portrait photo(s) (in .JPG or .PNG file format) of the Speaker(s) in 300dpi
Should you require special technical devices for your presentation please indicate this in your proposal.
Submitters may also attach samples of their work that illustrate or substantiate the synopsis.
Please send your proposal via the website: www.iiidspace.net
The Committee will evaluate the proposals using the following criteria:
• Relevance of the subject to the conference theme
• Clarity and focus of the synopsis
• Timeliness and broad appeal of the topic
• Innovative approach to the subject matter
• Completeness of proposal (all required information has been provided)
• Credentials and conference-presentation experience of the speaker.
The Program Committee may request further information from an individual who has submitted a proposal. The Committee will also nominate those proposals that should be considered for the keynote presentation; the final decision for the keynote presentation will be made by the event organizer.
Deadline for proposal submission: 12th May 2013
Announcement of Acceptance
Notification of acceptance or rejection for all submissions will be made via email on or before the 21st May, 2013. If not stated differently, all proposals and attachments will be kept in evidence for possible future references or events.
Benefits for Speakers
• Your name and session title will be publicized in the run-up marketing materials, the space-x website, and the program.
• You will receive a discount of 50% on the conference fee.
• Your presentation will be considered for publication.
• You will have ample opportunities to meet and discuss with peers from around the world who share your interests and may become valuable partners.
What to consider as a Speaker
If your proposal is accepted, these are the following steps for you:
• Elaborate the synopsis into the full-length podium presentation, including references, illustrations, etc. The time allotment for presentations will be provided in the notification of acceptance email.
• Send the final presentation in digital format (PDF) by the 20th June, 2013
• Secure the permission to use client names, research findings, etc. if applicable.
As a fellow member of the scientific community we understand that you adhere to the rules of good scientific conduct, including:
• By handing in a presentation submitters confirm its originality and that it does not infringe on any copyrights.
• Presenters submit a presentation ready and clear for reproduction on the conference web site or in conference-related publications
NOTE: The organizers do not make any commitment to publish your paper nor will they pay an honorarium in the event the paper is published.
• A presenter who has to cancel for any reason will aim to provide an alternate speaker.
Key dates to remember
(all dates subject to confirmation)
12 May 2013: Deadline for proposal submission
21 May 2013: (at the latest): Notification of acceptance
20 August 2013: Deadline for final presentation and paper submission
4 September 2013: SEDUCE begins
Participation Fee and Use of Revenue
Inspiration, sharing expertise, education, networking, space to think and … having some fun.
As the number of participants is limited we hope for your understanding that registration will be handled on a “first come first serve”-basis.
Lunches and coffee break on both days as well as public transport in the whole city of Vienna included.
Pass: 780,- Euro (936,- incl. 20% VAT)
Discounted: 650,- Euro (780,- incl. 20% VAT)
Students: 50,- Euro (60,- incl. 20% VAT)
Special Offer: One free entry for each two full price tickets bought
The Net-Income of this event will be donated to the “Hilfsgemeinschaft der Blinden und Sehschwachen Österreichs” and for further research and activities on visual impairment
The International Institute for Information Design (IIID)
The International Institute for Information Design (IIID) was founded to develop research and practice in optimizing information and information systems for knowledge transfer in everyday life, business, education and science.
The main concern of the International Institute for Information Design (IIID) is to contribute to a better understanding within the human community with respect to cultural and economic issues by means of improved visual and other forms of communication.
The aims of IIID are to be achieved by interdisciplinary and international co-operation. Thus IIID has established links to renowned universities, research laboratories and design companies.
(Relief Organization for Austria’s Blind and Visually Impaired)
The Hilfsgemeinschaft was founded in 1935 as a non-profit association. Its goals are to improve the living conditions of visually impaired and blind people and to provide support and guidance for about 4500 members from all over Austria.
The Institute for Transport and Logistics Management
at the Vienna University of Economics and Business.
The Institute for Transport and Logistics Management holds numerous practice-oriented events, carries out applied research and provides top-quality educational programs. Together with businesses, associations, students and policy makers we solve real-life problems, address challenging questions with a scientific approach and promote knowledge transfer.
Martin Foessleitner Boardmember of the International Institute for Information Design (IIID)
Elmar W. Fürst on behalf of the Institute for Transport and Logistics Management of the Vienna University of Economics and Business.
Daniele Marano on behalf of the Austrian Association in Support of the Blind and Visually Impaired (Hilfsgemeinschaft der Blinden und Sehschwachen Österreichs)
Managed and implemented by hi-pe.at, Gesellschaft für angewandtes Informationsdesign
If you have questions regarding this Call for Speakers, please contact Martin Foessleitner at IIID
To get the latest news on the development of this exciting event, periodically visit the website